F1 in Austin
- UT's 2013 Football Schedule Shows OSU Game During F1 Weekend Race
- Austin Airport Busy With F1 Attendee Departures
- Austin F1 Race Over, but Debate on Tax Subsidies Continues
- F1 Weekend is a Tax Windfall -- For Some
- Central Texas Hotels Already Gearing Up For 2013 Formula One Race
- Retailers Outside Austin See Spike In Sales For F1
- 117,000 Fans Attend Austin's Inaugural Formula 1 US Grand Prix
- Brit Lewis Hamilton Wins Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix In Austin
- Things Run Smoothly At F1 Track
- 82,000 Attend Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix Qualifying In Austin
- Business Down For Some Downtown Austin Stores Due To Fan Fest
- Fans Mellow So Far At Austin Fan Fest
- F1 Fan Fest Draws Big Crowds To Downtown Austin
- Austinites Check Out 1st Day Of F1
- Download F1 Road Closures Map
- Turning Laps In The Sky For Austin F1
- KEYE TV News Tests the F1 Shuttles For You
- 24 Hours Emergency Operations Center Open For F1 Weekend
- F1 Austin Fan Fest Begins Today
- Officials Make Final Austin F1 Traffic Plans
- Fan Fest Chaos Poses Challenges For Downtown Austin Businesses
- Austin Fan Fest Street Closures Continue
- Law Enforcement Offers Austin F1 Risk Assessment
- Formula 1 Track Shows Off Race Day Emergency Plan
- Cap Metro Makes F1 Backup Plans As Union Threatens Strike
- South Austin Neighborhoods Not Happy With F1 Helipads
- Austin Council Eyes F1 Helipad Code Changes After Neighborhood Outcry
- Austin Council Annexes F1 Race Track Land
- Bike Route Planned From Downtown Austin To Formula 1 Track
- Austin Formula 1 Racetrack Opens Saturday For Running Event
- Capital Metro To Provide Free Bus Service Around Downtown For F1 Weekend
- F1 Marks First Lap, Leaders to Discuss Preparedness
- Helipads Approved In South Austin For F1
- F1 Announces More Bands For Race Weekend
- Police, Nonprofits Bracing For Human Trafficking Increase
- How To Avoid Buying Counterfeit Tickets
- Austin F1 Transportation Plan Announced
- Austin Race Track Gets Green Light As Deadline Nears
- Pflugerville Wants To Study Impact Of F1
- Nelly Joins Aerosmith As Top Acts At F1 Grand Prix Concerts
- Condo Owners Wanting To Make Some Quick Cash Could Be Fined Thousands
- Festivals Planned During Austin's F1 Race Weekend
- Tens Of Thousands To Flock To Downtown Austin For F1 Grand Prix Events
- F1 Bringing Aerosmith To Austin During Race Weekend
- Texas Gov. Perry Promotes Austin F1 Race During Italy Trip
- Workers Needed For F1 Race
Fan Fest Chaos Poses Challenges For Downtown Austin Businesses
Updated: Thursday, November 15 2012, 03:49 PM CST
Downtown Austin businesses are revved up for Formula One's music festival, Fan Fest, but major challenges lie ahead for employees and customers.
“With as great of an event that gets to come to our city, we just have to adapt,” says BA Snyder, marketing coordinator with Cantina Laredo.
The streets are swarming with event organizers, police officers and tourists, leaving little parking for businesses.
"So we've let our employees know where the parking is around the city,” says Snyder.
We walked the streets affected by the closures and couldn’t find one business in the heart of the action that was closing its doors to avoid all the chaos.
“Everyone is here. They are on call and ready to work,” says Snyder.
Fan Fest is limited to Colorado and Congress Avenue, but the chaos is trickling into nearby streets. Parking spots typically designated for employees and customers have been taken by special event parking, making it even more difficult for downtown businesses to operate.
"It’s already been a nightmare,” says Kara Jordan, owner of Blenders and Bowls.
We saw some parking lots for $30, a price employees at Blenders and Bowls probably won’t want to pay. So it’s up to employees to figure it out, while still getting to work on time.
"We sent out a mass email letting them know all the street closures and our parking lot in the back, but we expect that to be full,” says Jordan.
Jordan, like many other business owners, is banking on foot traffic for boosted sales.
“I’m expecting most of our regulars won't be coming in. Most of the Austinites will steer clear of downtown. It's mainly going to be tourists,” says Jordan.
Whoever is spending money, Austin business owners say they’ll take it and do whatever they can to benefit from Fan Fest.
“There’s no closing. We’re going to stay open early, open late, whatever we have to do,” says Snyder.
By Ashley Miller
Austin Fan Fest
View Austin Fan Fest in a larger map
Austin Grand Prix Parking
View Formula 1 Austin Grand Prix: Parking in a larger map