F1 in Austin
- UT's 2013 Football Schedule Shows OSU Game During F1 Weekend Race
- Austin Airport Busy With F1 Attendee Departures
- Austin F1 Race Over, but Debate on Tax Subsidies Continues
- F1 Weekend is a Tax Windfall -- For Some
- Central Texas Hotels Already Gearing Up For 2013 Formula One Race
- Retailers Outside Austin See Spike In Sales For F1
- 117,000 Fans Attend Austin's Inaugural Formula 1 US Grand Prix
- Brit Lewis Hamilton Wins Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix In Austin
- Things Run Smoothly At F1 Track
- 82,000 Attend Formula 1 U.S. Grand Prix Qualifying In Austin
- Business Down For Some Downtown Austin Stores Due To Fan Fest
- Fans Mellow So Far At Austin Fan Fest
- F1 Fan Fest Draws Big Crowds To Downtown Austin
- Austinites Check Out 1st Day Of F1
- Download F1 Road Closures Map
- Turning Laps In The Sky For Austin F1
- KEYE TV News Tests the F1 Shuttles For You
- 24 Hours Emergency Operations Center Open For F1 Weekend
- F1 Austin Fan Fest Begins Today
- Officials Make Final Austin F1 Traffic Plans
- Fan Fest Chaos Poses Challenges For Downtown Austin Businesses
- Austin Fan Fest Street Closures Continue
- Law Enforcement Offers Austin F1 Risk Assessment
- Formula 1 Track Shows Off Race Day Emergency Plan
- Cap Metro Makes F1 Backup Plans As Union Threatens Strike
- South Austin Neighborhoods Not Happy With F1 Helipads
- Austin Council Eyes F1 Helipad Code Changes After Neighborhood Outcry
- Austin Council Annexes F1 Race Track Land
- Bike Route Planned From Downtown Austin To Formula 1 Track
- Austin Formula 1 Racetrack Opens Saturday For Running Event
- Capital Metro To Provide Free Bus Service Around Downtown For F1 Weekend
- F1 Marks First Lap, Leaders to Discuss Preparedness
- Helipads Approved In South Austin For F1
- F1 Announces More Bands For Race Weekend
- Police, Nonprofits Bracing For Human Trafficking Increase
- How To Avoid Buying Counterfeit Tickets
- Austin F1 Transportation Plan Announced
- Austin Race Track Gets Green Light As Deadline Nears
- Pflugerville Wants To Study Impact Of F1
- Nelly Joins Aerosmith As Top Acts At F1 Grand Prix Concerts
- Condo Owners Wanting To Make Some Quick Cash Could Be Fined Thousands
- Festivals Planned During Austin's F1 Race Weekend
- Tens Of Thousands To Flock To Downtown Austin For F1 Grand Prix Events
- F1 Bringing Aerosmith To Austin During Race Weekend
- Texas Gov. Perry Promotes Austin F1 Race During Italy Trip
- Workers Needed For F1 Race
South Austin Neighborhoods Not Happy With F1 Helipads
Updated: Thursday, November 8 2012, 10:02 PM CST
They are the preferred mode of transportation for VIPs looking to avoid Formula One race day traffic, and Thursday night the Austin City Council approved several new helicopter landing sites around the city.
The helicopters will be going from three area airports and landing at the Embassy Suites downtown, and on top of a building at 901 South Mopac.
We wanted to find out just how loud and intrusive those helicopters will be on race weekend.
There's a lot of city noise at the downtown sit, so the helicopters landing aren't expected to be that noticeable, but residents in the Zilker Park and Barton Hills neighborhood can't say the same about their landing zone.
Marissa Hester says she was already debating leaving town for F1 but after finding out about the helipad not far away from her Barton Hills home, pushed her over the edge.
“We're going to leave town and get some rest if we can,” she says.
Just how noisy it will be for residents is up in the air says pilot Blake Bryam. “Depending on how heavily they're loaded and the type and how many blades there are and how fast the rotor is spinning, there's a bunch of different variable that decide on the noise,” he says.
Charlie Bravo Charter owner Rene Banglesdorf has 15 helicopters flying during Formula One weekend. “It won't be the middle of the night, won't be low and loud over residential neighborhoods. It really should not be very disruptive to regular Austin life,” she says.
She says she understands the concerns, but has worked with the FAA to find the best compromise
Helicopters taking off from downtown will fly to the lake and then follow it to I-35, and they'll follow the highways and the roads to the race track.
By Karen Kiley
Austin Fan Fest
View Austin Fan Fest in a larger map
Austin Grand Prix Parking
View Formula 1 Austin Grand Prix: Parking in a larger map