- Planned Parenthood Skips 'Political' Texas Senate Hearing
- Court of appeals drops one charge against former Governor Rick Perry
- Trump Tours Texas-Mexico Border
- Kerry Defends Iran Nuclear Deal
- Trump Says Hispanics Love Him
- George Bush Senior Out Of ME. Hospital After Fall
- Abbott Accosted By Traveler Angered Over Gay-Marriage Stance
- Obama Challenges Critics Of Iran Nuclear Deal
- Abbott Orders Investigation Of Use Of Tissue From Abortions
- Local Opponents Of Gay Marriage Vow To Fight On
- Louisiana Gov. Jindal ready to jump into 2016 presidential race
- Abbott Signs Bill To Limit Pollution Lawsuits
- Young Protester Demands Veto Of Texas Budget Measure
- Commissioner To Leave HHSC As Deputy Takes Over
- Clinton: GOP Trying To Make It Difficult For People To Vote
- Perry Announces Presidential Run
- Travis County Gears Up To Issue Same-Sex Marriage Licenses
- Like Perry, Abbott Says He'll Leave Texas To Lure Businesses
- Texas Legislature Ends 2015 Session
- Abbott: Texas Won't Legalize Medicinal Or Recreational Pot
- Texas Legislature Ends 2015 Session
- 'Open Carry' Bill Heads To Gov. Abbott
- Austin's Top Cop Says Governor Needs To Step In On Open Carry
- Texas Senate Debating Major Open Carry Handgun Bill
- Texas House OKs Letting Clergy Refuse To Marry Gay Couples
- COA Spends $70K On Austin Code Ad Campaign
- Texas Senate Panel Passes Restrictions On Teen Abortions
- Perry Set To Announce Presidential Bid June 4 In Dallas
- Governor Abbott Signs Kari's Law for better 911 Access
- Texas Anti-Gay Marriage Bill In Limbo With Time Running Out
- House OKs Bill Restricting Minors Seeking Abortions
- Austin City Council Denounces Stereotypes In Training Session
- Supreme Court Rules Police Can't Extend Traffic Stops
- Senate Backs Allowing Pastors To Refuse To Marry Same-Sex Couples
- East Austin Could Get Luxury Golf Course
- Committee Votes Against Requiring Scrubbers For BBQ Food Trucks/Restaurants
- Waste Of Time: Texas House Votes To Keep Daylight Savings
- Senate Gives High Sign To Limited Medical Marijuana
- Pot Legalization Bill Clears House Panel
- School Shooting Victims, Families Voice Against Campus Carry
- Petition May Put Fluoridation Before San Marcos Voters
- Senate Votes To Keep Abbott Promise, Scrap Perry Tech Fund
- Abbott at Rally for Charter Schools at Capitol
- Texas House Approves Slicing State Sales Taxes For 1st Time
- Texas House Approves Licensed Open Carry Of Handguns
- Texas Pushes Closer To Licensed Open Carry Of Handguns
- Employers Warn $15 Wage Will Cause Problems
- Democratic House Technicality Halts 'Open Carry' -- For Now
- Buda May Buy Water San Marcos Doesn't Use
- 11 Year Old Testifies to Pass Suicide Prevention Bill
Cruz Heckled During Washington, D.C. Speech
Updated: Friday, October 11 2013, 03:17 PM CDT
Hecklers interrupted Texas Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas several times during his speech at a conservative summit in Washington, D.C.
The Values Voter summit was sponsored by the Family Research Council.
The protesters were from a group called the "Fair Immigration Reform Movement."
Cruz seemed unfazed by the interruption, mockingly saying "it seems that president Obama's paid political operatives are out in force today." The comment garnered applause.
Cruz is one of the key players in the government shutdown showdown in Washington.
Here are excerpts from his speech:
"I am invigorated by your passion for this great country. Now as inspired as I am, I will do my very best to speak for less than 21 hours but you will know I'm near wrapping up when I begin to read "The Cat in the Hat."
"We've seen an explosion of federal government power, none more important or significant or dangerous than Obamacare. We look at the state of our economy in the last four years; our economy has grown on average 0.9 percent a year. There's only one other period since World War II of four consecutive years of less than 1 percent average growth, that was 1979 to 1982, coming out of the Jimmy Carter administration. It was the same failed economic policies, out of control taxing, spending, regulations, that produced the exact same results."
"I'm suggest a model for how we turn this country around in next couple of years, and it is the model we have been following together for the last couple of months to stop that train wreck, that disaster, that nightmare that is Obamacare."
"Joe Biden... You know the nice thing, you don't need a punch line! You just say his name... people laugh."