- Reports: Paxton Indicted by Collin County Grand Jury
- Scrutiny Of Latest Round Of Hillary Clinton Emails Begins
- DPS Director Hammered At Hearing On Bland Case
- Sandra Bland's Arrest, Death Takes Stage At Texas Capitol
- Planned Parenthood Skips 'Political' Texas Senate Hearing
- Court of appeals drops one charge against former Governor Rick Perry
- Trump Tours Texas-Mexico Border
- Kerry Defends Iran Nuclear Deal
- Trump Says Hispanics Love Him
- George Bush Senior Out Of ME. Hospital After Fall
- Abbott Accosted By Traveler Angered Over Gay-Marriage Stance
- Obama Challenges Critics Of Iran Nuclear Deal
- Abbott Orders Investigation Of Use Of Tissue From Abortions
- Local Opponents Of Gay Marriage Vow To Fight On
- Louisiana Gov. Jindal ready to jump into 2016 presidential race
- Abbott Signs Bill To Limit Pollution Lawsuits
- Young Protester Demands Veto Of Texas Budget Measure
- Commissioner To Leave HHSC As Deputy Takes Over
- Clinton: GOP Trying To Make It Difficult For People To Vote
- Perry Announces Presidential Run
- Travis County Gears Up To Issue Same-Sex Marriage Licenses
- Like Perry, Abbott Says He'll Leave Texas To Lure Businesses
- Texas Legislature Ends 2015 Session
- Abbott: Texas Won't Legalize Medicinal Or Recreational Pot
- Texas Legislature Ends 2015 Session
- 'Open Carry' Bill Heads To Gov. Abbott
- Austin's Top Cop Says Governor Needs To Step In On Open Carry
- Texas Senate Debating Major Open Carry Handgun Bill
- Texas House OKs Letting Clergy Refuse To Marry Gay Couples
- COA Spends $70K On Austin Code Ad Campaign
- Texas Senate Panel Passes Restrictions On Teen Abortions
- Perry Set To Announce Presidential Bid June 4 In Dallas
- Governor Abbott Signs Kari's Law for better 911 Access
- Texas Anti-Gay Marriage Bill In Limbo With Time Running Out
- House OKs Bill Restricting Minors Seeking Abortions
- Austin City Council Denounces Stereotypes In Training Session
- Supreme Court Rules Police Can't Extend Traffic Stops
- Senate Backs Allowing Pastors To Refuse To Marry Same-Sex Couples
- East Austin Could Get Luxury Golf Course
- Committee Votes Against Requiring Scrubbers For BBQ Food Trucks/Restaurants
- Waste Of Time: Texas House Votes To Keep Daylight Savings
- Senate Gives High Sign To Limited Medical Marijuana
- Pot Legalization Bill Clears House Panel
- School Shooting Victims, Families Voice Against Campus Carry
- Petition May Put Fluoridation Before San Marcos Voters
- Senate Votes To Keep Abbott Promise, Scrap Perry Tech Fund
- Abbott at Rally for Charter Schools at Capitol
- Texas House Approves Slicing State Sales Taxes For 1st Time
- Texas House Approves Licensed Open Carry Of Handguns
- Texas Pushes Closer To Licensed Open Carry Of Handguns
President Obama Visits Franklin Barbecue
Updated: Thursday, July 10 2014, 06:17 PM CDT
President Barack Obama couldn't leave Austin without stopping at some famous eateries.
Before his speech at the Paramount Theatre, he had tea with honey and lemon at Magnolia Cafe on Lake Austin Boulevard.
Afterwards, rumors turned to reality when he showed up at Franklin Barbecue.
Imagine learning just minutes beforehand the President of the United States would be paying you a visit.
"They actually didn't tell us," said owner, Aaron Franklin. "Secret service just started showing up and APD was kind of swarming about, and then they're like oh he'll be here in like 20 min. I'm like OH, Oh ok!"
When you're the owner of the world famous BBQ restaurant, your only question is what about the line? "Obama skipped the line, it's true," said Franklin.
Franklin insists Obama is the first person to do so. "But, he apologized on his way out," said patron, Sarah Farnsworth. "I feel like I"ll give the President some slack."
People waiting in line say Secret Service patted them down before Obama walked in.
"Anyone that approached him he shook their hand," said Aileen Menchaca.
"My wife and I talked to him. He held our little baby," said Franklin. "Yea, seems like a nice dude."
"It was amazing," said Mia Menchaca. "It's just such an honor to meet him."
When he got to the front of the line, the President placed a very Presidential order with employee Daniel Webb. "He ordered a bunch of BBQ. The people behind him, he bought their lunch and he bought like nine pounds of brisket. It cleared out the turkey, we're out of turkey."
"I had no idea this was going to happen today," said Menchaca. "For the kids to be able to meet our President was just amazing."
By Deeda Payton