- Man Rolling Under Moving Train Caught On Camera
- Aggressive Cobra Found At Houston High-Rise Apartments
- Drunk driving suspect found naked on barn roof
- Man dismissed from jury duty for wearing prisoner costume
- Police: man baked potato, raked leaves during break-in
- Houston-Area Man Sues After Flooding Displaces Wife's Casket
- Slow Police Chase From Fort Worth To Arlington Ends In Crash
- Dead Hog Tied To Beaumont School's Flagpole
- Medical Marijuana Available For Texas Pets
- Woman Eats 3 Steak Dinners In 20 Minutes
- Colorado Dog Gets Prosthetics For All 4 Legs
- Elephant Hauler Gets Stuck; Pachyderms Keep Truck Upright
- Man Trains Dog To Walk
- Man's Body Found In Fireplace
- Debates Rage Over Color Of Dress Photographed In Rare Light
- Mission To Mars Gets Real For Former Austinite
- Woman Loses Eyesight From Cat Lick
- Austin Grill Has Valentine's Day Drink, Earrings For $30K
- 'George Jefferson' Haircut A Hit
- 'Professor Dumpster' Wraps Up Year Living Inside East Austin Dumpster
- Texas 4th Grader Suspended Over Lord Of The Rings Reference
- Rattlesnakes Visit Texas Capitol
- After Being Hit By Car Tampa Cat Crawls Back From Grave
- Man Finds Car Part In Arm From Wreck 50 Years Ago
- Santa Firefighter Saves Man From Burning Home
- UT Starts Investigation Into Missing Human Brains
- AP: Charles Manson Gets Marriage License
- Father Of 'Affluenza' Teen Arrested In North Texas
- Professor Dumpster Upgrades To AC
- Caterpillar Stings Sending Central Texans To ER
- Kinky Couple: West Virginia Woman Walks Naked Man On A Leash
- Bear Wanders Around Convenience Store
- Car Slams Into NY Gas Station, Catches Fire
- Man Charged With Stealing Human Skin From Hospital
- Malaysia Says Cadbury Chocolates Free From Pork
- Bear Caught Lounging On Hammock
- Robbery Suspect Friends Victim On Facebook
- Deer Runs Through NC Hospital
- Urban Legend Confirmed, Atari E.T. Games Found In Landfill
- Newlywed Get Selfie With Pope
- Houston Man Pays $5,000 for Return of Missing Cat
- 'Miracle Man' Dies Again
- Gorilla Baby Born Through C-section
- Couple Attacked By Cat Say They'll Get It Help
- Wake Up And Smell The Bacon ... With A Bacon App
- North Texas Man Tries To Put Dog On City Council
- Toy Makers Showcase Wares At Toy Fair In New York
- Win A Free Divorce On Valentine's Day
- Shark Bite Victim Stiches Up His Own Wounds
- NC Politician Writes Resignation Letter In Klingon
Houston Waiter Gets $5,000 Tip
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
A Houston waiter got quite a shock this weekend when his customers left him a whopping $5,000 tip.
Greg Rubar has worked as a waiter at D'Amico's in Rice Village for 16 years. And in that time, he's gotten a lot of large tips for his service.
But on Saturday, he said a pair of regulars gave him the biggest gift of all.
"He just said, 'Here. We're still going to come in, but we're not going to tip you for a while. This is for you. This is enough money for you to go and buy a nice car.'"
The married couple, who asked us not to use their names, knows that Rubar lost his car in a severe storm several weeks ago and had been taking cabs and buses in order to get to work.
So, after finishing their $27 lunch of soup and wine over the weekend, the couple handed the married father of three an envelope containing $5,000 in cash.
"It's a little shocking to hear that. I thought, yeah, maybe 500, but 5,000 is quite a generous tip."
The amount of money even surprised Rubar's boss, but she says she can't imagine a more deserving person.
"He's an incredibly hard worker. He would work every shift if we would let him," Brina D'Amico Donaldson said.
As for Rubar, he says he still can't believe that two of his customers went out of their way to help him.
"People can be generous. They told me they felt like I deserved it. It's overwhelming to me," he said.
Rubar says he does plan to use that tip to buy himself a car.