- Man Rolling Under Moving Train Caught On Camera
- Aggressive Cobra Found At Houston High-Rise Apartments
- Drunk driving suspect found naked on barn roof
- Man dismissed from jury duty for wearing prisoner costume
- Police: man baked potato, raked leaves during break-in
- Houston-Area Man Sues After Flooding Displaces Wife's Casket
- Slow Police Chase From Fort Worth To Arlington Ends In Crash
- Dead Hog Tied To Beaumont School's Flagpole
- Medical Marijuana Available For Texas Pets
- Woman Eats 3 Steak Dinners In 20 Minutes
- Colorado Dog Gets Prosthetics For All 4 Legs
- Elephant Hauler Gets Stuck; Pachyderms Keep Truck Upright
- Man Trains Dog To Walk
- Man's Body Found In Fireplace
- Debates Rage Over Color Of Dress Photographed In Rare Light
- Mission To Mars Gets Real For Former Austinite
- Woman Loses Eyesight From Cat Lick
- Austin Grill Has Valentine's Day Drink, Earrings For $30K
- 'George Jefferson' Haircut A Hit
- 'Professor Dumpster' Wraps Up Year Living Inside East Austin Dumpster
- Texas 4th Grader Suspended Over Lord Of The Rings Reference
- Rattlesnakes Visit Texas Capitol
- After Being Hit By Car Tampa Cat Crawls Back From Grave
- Man Finds Car Part In Arm From Wreck 50 Years Ago
- Santa Firefighter Saves Man From Burning Home
- UT Starts Investigation Into Missing Human Brains
- AP: Charles Manson Gets Marriage License
- Father Of 'Affluenza' Teen Arrested In North Texas
- Professor Dumpster Upgrades To AC
- Caterpillar Stings Sending Central Texans To ER
- Kinky Couple: West Virginia Woman Walks Naked Man On A Leash
- Bear Wanders Around Convenience Store
- Car Slams Into NY Gas Station, Catches Fire
- Man Charged With Stealing Human Skin From Hospital
- Malaysia Says Cadbury Chocolates Free From Pork
- Bear Caught Lounging On Hammock
- Robbery Suspect Friends Victim On Facebook
- Deer Runs Through NC Hospital
- Urban Legend Confirmed, Atari E.T. Games Found In Landfill
- Newlywed Get Selfie With Pope
- Houston Man Pays $5,000 for Return of Missing Cat
- 'Miracle Man' Dies Again
- Gorilla Baby Born Through C-section
- Couple Attacked By Cat Say They'll Get It Help
- Wake Up And Smell The Bacon ... With A Bacon App
- North Texas Man Tries To Put Dog On City Council
- Toy Makers Showcase Wares At Toy Fair In New York
- Win A Free Divorce On Valentine's Day
- Shark Bite Victim Stiches Up His Own Wounds
- NC Politician Writes Resignation Letter In Klingon
82-Year-Old Student Voted College Homecoming Queen
Updated: Tuesday, October 22 2013, 10:16 AM CDT
She's 82 and she's a homecoming queen. Granny Franny is in college but it's not just her age that makes this story remarkable. It's also how she is inspiring all of the young people she meets.
Frances Wood probably has more knowledge in years than she'll learn in a semester. Still she packs her book bag for class.
"I thought is this really real? Am I really doing this?" she said.
She enrolled at MidAmerica Nazarene University in the Kansas City suburb of Olathe, Kansas after her husband passed away. Heartbroken, she needed something that would bring her joy again.
"I was beginning to get just a little lonely and depressed," Wood said. "I needed something different to do. And believe me this is different."
Frances is the oldest student on campus and the most popular.
"I do get called out Granny Franny. 'Hi Granny Franny' every once in a while and that's been fun," she said.
Students a quarter her age gravitated toward her.
"Students feel loved by her. She's kind of like a grandma away from home," student Konner McIntire said.
They wanted to give it all back, and they did, over the weekend at their homecoming. First she was asked out by not just one boy but three.
"What did I tell you, that you needed to get real girls didn't I?" She told student Dylan Aebersold. He said, "Yes she did say that we need to get real girls that are potential wives."
The three to one group date was one thing then she got a standing ovation. The school gave her a special place in Homecoming Court, crowning her "Homecoming Granny".
"I could never have imagined all of this," she said.
It's the least they can do for a woman who's teaching them what life is all about.