- Semi Truck Carrying Bees Overturns; Swarms Unleashed On Oklahoma Highway
- PETA sues to give monkey the copyright of selfie photos
- Oscar Mayer Launches Dating App For Bacon Lovers
- Paint Masterpiece With Donald Trump's Face
- Man Saves Ribs From CA Apartment Fire
- Trump: 'I Swear' My Hair Is Not A Toupee
- Texas Police Say Man 'Obsessed' With Woman, Corpse Missing
- Body Of Woman Taken From San Antonio Funeral Home
- Snakes Infest Houston Home
- Experts warn 'DIY braces' trend can ruin teeth
- Maine Woman Finds Deadly Spider In Grapes
- Florida Mom Caught Using Son To Start Car With Breathalyzer
- Former President George W. Bush Not Chosen For Dallas Jury
- Man Rolling Under Moving Train Caught On Camera
- Aggressive Cobra Found At Houston High-Rise Apartments
- Drunk driving suspect found naked on barn roof
- Man dismissed from jury duty for wearing prisoner costume
- Police: man baked potato, raked leaves during break-in
- Houston-Area Man Sues After Flooding Displaces Wife's Casket
- Slow Police Chase From Fort Worth To Arlington Ends In Crash
- Dead Hog Tied To Beaumont School's Flagpole
- Medical Marijuana Available For Texas Pets
- Woman Eats 3 Steak Dinners In 20 Minutes
- Colorado Dog Gets Prosthetics For All 4 Legs
- Elephant Hauler Gets Stuck; Pachyderms Keep Truck Upright
- Man Trains Dog To Walk
- Man's Body Found In Fireplace
- Debates Rage Over Color Of Dress Photographed In Rare Light
- Mission To Mars Gets Real For Former Austinite
- Woman Loses Eyesight From Cat Lick
- Austin Grill Has Valentine's Day Drink, Earrings For $30K
- 'George Jefferson' Haircut A Hit
- 'Professor Dumpster' Wraps Up Year Living Inside East Austin Dumpster
- Texas 4th Grader Suspended Over Lord Of The Rings Reference
- Rattlesnakes Visit Texas Capitol
- After Being Hit By Car Tampa Cat Crawls Back From Grave
- Man Finds Car Part In Arm From Wreck 50 Years Ago
- Santa Firefighter Saves Man From Burning Home
- UT Starts Investigation Into Missing Human Brains
- AP: Charles Manson Gets Marriage License
- Father Of 'Affluenza' Teen Arrested In North Texas
- Professor Dumpster Upgrades To AC
- Caterpillar Stings Sending Central Texans To ER
- Kinky Couple: West Virginia Woman Walks Naked Man On A Leash
- Bear Wanders Around Convenience Store
- Car Slams Into NY Gas Station, Catches Fire
- Man Charged With Stealing Human Skin From Hospital
- Malaysia Says Cadbury Chocolates Free From Pork
- Bear Caught Lounging On Hammock
- Robbery Suspect Friends Victim On Facebook
American Wins World Air-Guitar Championship
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
Justin "Nordic Thunder" Howard from the US won the 17th Air Guitar World Championships in Oulu, Finland on Friday (August 24).
The Air Guitar World Championships is a three day event with international contestants that culminates in a Grand Finale at Rotuaari Square in the center of Oulu in Northern Finland.
Around 5,000 people gathered in the city center to watch 18 contestants from around the world battle for the grand prize...a real guitar.
"Everyone is very excited of course since this is a big event and so forth, so everyone is always looking forward to this happening," a spectator said.
In the Grand Finale, National Air Guitar Champions from Japan, UK, US, Belgium, Germany, Finland, Denmark, The Netherlands, Russia, Czech Republic, France and Estonia battled it out alongside "Dark Horses" -- five finalists from a qualifying round held on Thursday (August 23).
The world championships was first organized in Oulu in 1996. Previous world champion Aline "The Devil's Niece" Westphal from Germany said her performance in this year's competition was "more crazy".
"The performance this year is very different from the performance last year, it's more girlie style, it's wild, it's rock n' roll style and it's not so dramatic as last year and yeah, a little bit more crazy, I think," Westphal, who came in 8th place on Friday, said.
Contestants must impress both the judges and the audience with their air guitar skills.
In the first round, contestants played a song of their choice. The 10 contestants with the highest score went through to the second round, where they performed 'Loose My Soul' by the Flaming Sideburns.
"I for myself, I like improvisations. That is the main thing for me, but of course you have to look at the whole performance and I think my heart decides who is the best one. It's that simple and difficult at the same time," said judge Juha Torvinen, a well-known Finnish guitarist.
"Nordic Thunder" Howard won the 2011 National Competition in the US and went through the qualifying round to enter this year's final.
His strategy was to immediately get the attention of the judges.
"Going early in a competition is tough because the judges, they are going to be conservative with their scores until they see someone that really pops, so my plan is to come out and be that one that's like 'paah'," he said.
"I feel amazing, I feel loved, I feel like crying and laughing and hugging," "Nordic Thunder" said after he was announced the winner.
The Air Guitar World Championships aims to promote world peace. "According to the ideology of the Air Guitar, wars would end, climate change stop and all bad things disappear if all the people in the world played Air Guitar", the championships official website states.