MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Austin man accused of planning to carry out mass shooting

Steven Thomas Boehle. (Photo courtesy: Austin Police Department)

An Austin man is accused of planning to carry out a mass shooting, according to a document filed in the United States District Court.

The criminal complaint was filed against Steven Thomas Boehle, who federal officials say "exhibits sovereign citizen extremism ideology" and had recently been denied purchase of a firearm.

Earlier this month, the FBI received information that Boehle was planning to conduct a mass shooting.

Boehle had allegedly attempted to purchase a firearm on multiple occasions but was denied due to an assault conviction from New Haven, Connecticut in 1993. That was in December, 2016 at Central Texas Gunworks.

“We did what we’re supposed to do, the system worked and the public is safe because of that," Central Texas Gunworks owner Michael Cargill said.

According to the federal document, Boehle had made three separate attempts to purchase guns from licensed dealers since 2002. Each time Boehle answered "no" to the question "Have you ever been convicted in any court of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence?"

A search warrant was executed on Boehle's home in the 600 block of W. St. John's Ave. on April 12.

During their search, police seized three firearms and more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition.

“Few steps away, how long has this person been planning to do something with these weapons?" a neighbor who did not want to be identified said.

A woman living in the home with Boehle told officials she did not know he had brought guns into the home, and became visibly upset when told weapons were found there.

“I can sleep tonight because I know that this person is locked up, that’s the best part of it," the neighbor said.

Boehle is charged with false statement in connection with attempted acquisition of a firearm and unlawful possession of a firearm by a prohibited person.

Trending