MENU
component-ddb-728x90-v1-01-desktop

Man blames common medication for dog's death

A dog owner whose pet died three years ago is calling attention to the medication his dog was taking. (Photo and video courtesy: WTSP / Eamonn Kneeshaw)

A dog owner whose pet died three years ago is calling attention to the medication his dog was taking.

Eamonn Kneeshaw says his dog took one dose of Trifexis -- a flea and heartworm prevention medication. He says a month after taking that dose, his dog died.

One veterinarian says he avoids prescribing the drug, saying he's seen dogs have seizures after taking it.

"There's so many other options for flea control and heartworm prevention. I just personally feel like there's some safer drugs out there," Dr. Mark Brown with Central Animal Hospital said.

The FDA and other vets say Trifexis and its counterpart Comfortis are safe. The drugs are made by a company called Elanco and have the same active ingredient, spinosad.

Trending

LOADING