- The Wimberley Way
- Judge lets Brady play, ruling against NFL in 'Deflategate'
- The Freshmen Takeover
- Friday Night Rivals - Week 0
- Friday Night Rivals: Get all the scores here!
- Katrina 10: Javan's Storm Story
- Soccer Assist Creates Chances for Youth
- Cowboys Drop Preseason Game to 49ers
- Few QB Highlights in Texans Loss to Denver
- Baylor Player Sentenced To 6 Months Of Jail For Sex Assault
- Texas State 'Well Equipped" for Florida State
- Cowboys, Rams End Practice Early After Fights Break Out
- Spieth Short at PGA, but Takes Over Number One
- Spieth Stalks 3rd Major of Year
- In a Class of Their Own
- Court sketches of Tom Brady cause social media flurry
- Feds detail why they want Lance Armstrong's medical records
- Longhorns Leadership: Does QB Demeanor Matter?
- Texas Trifecta: Breakout Players
- Omar Uresti Gets Another Major Shot
- Wimberley's Recovery With a Nice Ring
- The Fate of TCU's 2015 Season
- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
Adam's Blog: 2013 Pigskin Picks
Updated: Thursday, August 29 2013, 04:30 PM CDT
Happy football season, friends! It's time for the annual August tradition you've grown to know and love. No, I'm not talking about people posting those annoying pictures of their car temperature gauge on social media or your buddy telling you about his fantasy football team as if you care. It's time for Winkler's Pigskin Prognostications.
I've been making preseason college/pro football prognostications since the 2008 season. My claim to fame, without a doubt, came during the 2009 season. Along with a couple of other accurate prognostications, I correctly picked the New Orleans Saints to win Super Bowl XLIV despite the franchise entering that year with one playoff win all-time and zero Super Bowl appearances.
This year, I don't have anything that bold (unless you consider the Southeastern Conference NOT winning the BCS title bold?), but I might have a few Big 12/SEC/NFL predictions that will make you scratch your head. This year, I've made 13 bold predictions for 2013. Super original, right? Enjoy!
1 - The Houston Texans and Dallas Cowboys will combine to win 22 regular season games.
2 - Two SEC players will finish higher than Johnny Manziel in the 2013 Heisman Trophy voting.
3 - Case McCoy and/or Tyrone Swoopes will have to win a game for the Longhorns when starting QB David Ash continues his (high school and college) career trend of being slowed by an injury in at least one game.
4 - The Cincinnati Bengals will win 11 games or more and host at least one AFC playoff game.
5 -The Texas defense (ranked 67th in NCAA in 2012 after being ranked 11th in in 2011) will finish the season ranked 36th nationally in total defense.
6 - Top 6 in Final Big 12 Standings: 1) Oklahoma State, 2) Texas, 3) TCU, 4) Kansas State, 5) Oklahoma, 6) Baylor.
7 - 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick will fall short of expectations. He won't finish the regular season as one of the 10 best QBs in the NFL and will fail to lead his team to its second straight Super Bowl.
8 - The winner of the September 7th South Carolina/Georgia game will not lose another regular season game.
9 - For the Longhorns, it's simple math: if 2 and 3 equal 10-plus then '13 will equal 10-plus. Confused? You should be. Hear me out. If Texas wins its second (September 7 at BYU) and third (September 14 vs. Ole Miss) games by 10 points or more, then the Longhorns are legit and will go on to win 10 games or more. If Texas struggles in those two semi-difficult games (one of which is on the road), even if it survives them both, the Horns will be exposed to the rest of the Big 12 and will fail to surpass the nine-win plateau.
10 - The NFL's Elite Eight will be: NFC: Seattle, Atlanta, New Orleans, Dallas. AFC: New England, Houston, Cincinnati, Indianapolis.
11 - Texas A&M and the Dallas Cowboys will finish with the same number of regular season victories.
12 - The Longhorns will play (and lose) a postseason bowl game that takes place in January 2014.
13 - The SEC will not win its eighth consecutive BCS title.
by Adam Winkler