- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
- Andy Roddick Foundation Welcomes Tony Dungy
- Buzzer Beater Bounces Longhorns
- Texas House Panel Mulls Open, Campus Carry Proposals
Updated: Tuesday, April 22 2014, 12:05 AM CDT
Take me out to the ballgame. John Reimer took that, and ran with it.
The 47-year old quit his job with a medical supply company and got into the diamond business. Baseball diamonds.
"Baseball was just one of those things that I loved growing up," recalled Reimer. "You know, it's just something about the game."
Reimer used to live in Milwaukee. Now he lives in this Lexus, often spending the night in Wal-Mart parking lots as he travels coast to coast catching baseball games.
We met him last Friday as Texas hosted TCU at UFCU Disch-Falk Field. It was his 70th game in 65 days. He's got some 200 more on deck. Reimer will attend at least one game every day, between February 14th and the final out of the World Series this October.
"The words of encouragement have been unbelievable," Reimer said. "Hey, I'm just living. It's just fun."
Although he's making the journey by himself, unless you count Siri, this trek was inspired by his Dad. He underwent triple-bypass surgery last August.
"We were talking about what he wanted to do growing up and wishing he had that opportunity," Reimer recalled. "And he asked me what I would do, so I told him. And he said to go for it."
It's a baseball pilgrimage about love of "selfies" and self-love, which is why Reimer calls himself Baseball Buddha.
"He [Buddha] found enlightenment as he went and traveled," Reimer explained. "So obviously it's very much a play off that. I'm going to find enlightenment through baseball. I'll find happiness in baseball."
The game's round ball, Buddha's round belly and a journey 'round the country. Who needs peanuts and cracker jack when you've got an iPhone and interstate?
by Adam Winkler
To follow along with Baseball Buddha's cross-country pilgrimage or to donate a tank of gas, click here for the BaseballBuddha.com sponsor page.