- Friday Night Rivals: Get all the scores here!
- Katrina 10: Javan's Storm Story
- Cowboys Drop Preseason Game to 49ers
- Few QB Highlights in Texans Loss to Denver
- Baylor Player Sentenced To 6 Months Of Jail For Sex Assault
- Texas State 'Well Equipped" for Florida State
- Cowboys, Rams End Practice Early After Fights Break Out
- Spieth Short at PGA, but Takes Over Number One
- Spieth Stalks 3rd Major of Year
- In a Class of Their Own
- Court sketches of Tom Brady cause social media flurry
- Feds detail why they want Lance Armstrong's medical records
- Longhorns Leadership: Does QB Demeanor Matter?
- Texas Trifecta: Breakout Players
- Omar Uresti Gets Another Major Shot
- Wimberley's Recovery With a Nice Ring
- The Fate of TCU's 2015 Season
- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
Bob's Blog: The Real Bullying
Updated: Tuesday, October 22 2013, 11:17 PM CDT
Aledo head coach Tim Buchanan is facing an accusation of abuse. Not for pushing a player, and not for screaming at one either. No - Tim Buchanan and his coaching staff are accused of --- bullying.
Friday night the Bearcats pummeled Fort Worth Western Hills 91-0. Neither coach had a problem with the final score -- with good reason. Aledo ran just 32 total plays and asked for a running clock in the second half. Sure enough though - Saturday morning a Western Hills parent filed a bullying report with Aledo High School, and now coach Buchanan has a serious allegation hanging over his head.
In first grade I was at a day camp in Dallas, and a kid much bigger than me stuck me in the locker and closed it. That's the image most of us grew up with when it came to bullying. The bully was the kid that stole lunch money or forced us to do his homework. The trend has grown away from that definition though - and become much, much worse. Bullies are commonplace now - especially cyber bullies - and are threatening kids in a horrific way. Take Shea Shawhan - an 18 year old in Plano. She's a cheerleader and a softball player that has the brain capacity of an 8 year old because she was born with a debilitating brain injury. She's made national news in the last few weeks because of text messages she's received from bullies. One read quote, "People at West don't want her - that's the reason she has seizures because that's karma." The texts get much, much worse, but students have rallied around her and offered their support. The troubling texts are an example of bullying. Losing a football game is not, regardless of what the scoreboard says.
160,000 kids miss school ***daily*** because of bullying. That number is hard to comprehend. Studies show 77 percent of students are bullied mentally, verbally and physically.
The parent that submitted the bullying report is just one person -- it's certainly not a clear representation of Fort Worth Western Hills high school. It is, however, a clear representation that we need to put bullying in better perspective. Bullying isn't a big kid stuffing someone in a locker anymore. It's become a national epidemic -- and a very, very terrifying one at that.
Talk to your kids. Take action. With all the problems we've got in the world -- this is one we can actively do a better job of preventing.