- Friday Night Rivals - Week 0
- Friday Night Rivals: Get all the scores here!
- Katrina 10: Javan's Storm Story
- Cowboys Drop Preseason Game to 49ers
- Few QB Highlights in Texans Loss to Denver
- Baylor Player Sentenced To 6 Months Of Jail For Sex Assault
- Texas State 'Well Equipped" for Florida State
- Cowboys, Rams End Practice Early After Fights Break Out
- Spieth Short at PGA, but Takes Over Number One
- Spieth Stalks 3rd Major of Year
- In a Class of Their Own
- Court sketches of Tom Brady cause social media flurry
- Feds detail why they want Lance Armstrong's medical records
- Longhorns Leadership: Does QB Demeanor Matter?
- Texas Trifecta: Breakout Players
- Omar Uresti Gets Another Major Shot
- Wimberley's Recovery With a Nice Ring
- The Fate of TCU's 2015 Season
- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
Civil Rights Summit Shines Light on Strong's Historic Hire
Updated: Thursday, April 10 2014, 03:39 PM CDT
As a child growing up in the segregated south, Bill Russell's mother wanted him to play in the front yard in hopes of exposing him to ignorance and hate at an early age
"They will say things to you, good or bad," recalled Russell. "But it has nothing to do with you. It has to do with them and their perspective."
What started in Russell's front lawn very well may have changed the overall landscape of sports. 58 years after Russell was hired as the NBA's first black head coach, Charlie Strong tackled Texas history as he became UT's first African-American head coach in any sport.
"This is a historical day," Strong admitted when he was introduced on January 6. "It was a historical day when the president was named the President of the United States also. There is always going to be a first somewhere, so this had to be the first."
Manor high school head football coach Sadd Jackson wasn't sure he'd live long enough to see a black head coach at Texas and Texas A&M at the same time. But Jackson says he hopes the door has been opened thanks to an open mind and not strictly skin color; a sentiment Hall of Famer Jim Brown backs
"Coach Strong feels like he was the best man for the job at Texas and not because he's an African-American, but just because he's a good football coach," Jackson said.
"Those who chose your coach and chose him for the right reasons did not choose him because he is black," Brown proclaimed. "And if you did, you did the wrong thing."
Those lessons Bill Russell learned on his front lawn and he shared just across this LBJ lawn Wednesday, prove that when it comes to opening a closed mind about civil rights: the grass is always greener on the other side.
by Adam Winkler