- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
- Andy Roddick Foundation Welcomes Tony Dungy
- Buzzer Beater Bounces Longhorns
- Texas House Panel Mulls Open, Campus Carry Proposals
- Bright Knights
Inside the (Blood) Lines: Tennis Duo's Special Bond
Updated: Thursday, September 5 2013, 11:00 PM CDT
At just 15 years old, Jackson Cobb is already a well-decorated tennis player. He's had tournament success in the singles draw, but it's in doubles where he really serves up trouble. And it's better he bother his opponent than his partner, because if causes problems for his partner - she can ground him.
"Normally in tournaments, I play with people my age," said Cobb. "Now, playing with my Mom, I have more of a family vibe."
Most teenagers can't get far enough away from their parents. Not Jackson. He and his mom Michele Haggerty not only share a love for tennis, they share the same court.
"To play together, something I feel very strongly about - I just love to play," said Haggerty. "I know he does, too. So for us to play together has been really fun."
"It really helps me relax," admitted Jackson. "She's just 'okay, get this next point.' she's never like 'you better get this point right now!"
We're not exactly going out on a limb when we say Michele and Jackson make-up a talented tennis family tree. They've been "leafing" other teams in the dust.
"We've always seen them growing and being champions," said Fernando Velasco, Director of Tennis at Grey Rock Tennis Club. "When we see somebody with that caliber, we know the results will be positive."
The mother/son squad took part in the National Family Tennis Championship. After winning their local tournament at Grey Rock, they advanced to a super regional playoff in Kansas City. From there they made it to the national finals in New York City. And they came back from the Big Apple with more than just some cheesy magnet.
Michele and Jackson defeated every other mother/son squad to win the national championship.
"Next year, we definitely want to come back," Michele said after the title match. "We'd love to come back and be the defending champion."
"That would be really cool if we could come back and do it all over again," agreed Jackson. "It was just a really fun experience."
And with Michele riding shotgun, Jackson's got another big accomplish on the horizon, too. He's about to finish driver's ed. Hopefully he won't have to put that talent to the test in New York City anytime soon.
by Adam Winkler