- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
- Andy Roddick Foundation Welcomes Tony Dungy
- Buzzer Beater Bounces Longhorns
- Texas House Panel Mulls Open, Campus Carry Proposals
Is COTA Living Up To Expectations?
Updated: Friday, April 11 2014, 06:36 PM CDT
Screaming engines are set to fill the air this weekend as the green flag drops on the MotoGP Sunday at the Circuit of the Americas in southeast Travis County.
It's the second biggest annual event at the track behind Formula One.
COTA claims it's a critical piece of the engine that pumps millions into the local economy. And developers promised the track would be worth about $400 million dollars a year.
According to the Texas Comptroller's Office, COTA has received $61.2 million in reimbursements from the State of Texas's events trust fund.
The world-class facility has claimed COTA-hosted events are projected to generate an annual economic impact of $400 million to $500 million, equating to $4 billion to $5 billion over 10 years for Texas.
Now two years have passed, is the track living up to its promise?
"We are filling out our calendar with things that bring large crowds," said COTA spokesperson Julie Loignon.
So far there are 200 events scheduled. That includes F1 which brings in $500 million alone every year.
And the newcomer X Games is expected to rake in $50 million yearly.
"We are in the second year for most of the races we are doing. X games is brand new. Redfest a country festival and a comedy festival is new this year," said Loignon.
The challenge COTA face now, Loignon says, is making the international events more popular in the U.S.
"Our job is to try to make sure that U.S. fans of sports entertainment know that these things are going on. They are every bit exciting as the races we've grown up watching," said Loignon.
But with 80 percent of the F1 attendees being from outside of Texas, it only helps push money into hotels and local shops.
Success or not? We will have to wait and see.
This weekend's MotoGP is just the first of several major events on the track's calendar this year.
Redfest is May23-25, X Games June 5-8 and F1 USGP Oct 31-Nov 2.
For more information go to http://circuitoftheamericas.com/calendar