- Omar Uresti Gets Another Major Shot
- Wimberley's Recovery With a Nice Ring
- The Fate of TCU's 2015 Season
- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
Lockhart Mom an Inspiration
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
The majority of the Lockhart softball team has played together since they were nine years old. For the second straight year they are making a run in the state playoffs, and they'll try to continue their trek with a win over Leander on Mother's Day weekend. A Mother's Day that will have a little more meaning to all of them.
Last year the Lions lost in the third round of the playoffs to Smithson Valley, who went on to win the state title. So coming up with a motto this year wasn't all that difficult.
"We got the taste of what it felt like to go far in the playoffs last year," said head coach Katy Snell. "They came up with the motto unfinished business 2013.
Senior Mikaela Flores has led the charge this year. She's hitting .478 and has an 18-3 record, and coach Snell says opponents are intimidated by her.
"You've got to go out there with no fear," exclaims Flores.
That's a lesson she's had to learn on and off the field. Her freshman year doctors diagnosed her mom Melissa with a rare kidney disease. She had a transplant and stayed healthy, until this year. She's had three hospital stays, and doctors are trying to determine whether or not she'll need a second transplant.
"My mom and i are the tough cookies - my dad's sensitive," explains Flores. "She's been my number one inspiration since I was a girl. She always believed in me. As a kid though, you never think about them being sick."
"She as solid as a rock, just like her mom", says her dad Sam. "She doesn't show much emotion. She's had to grow up fast. Mmy heart goes out to her, but she's an inspiration to me. We are supposed to be an inspiration to our kids - but I've learned a lot from her."
Melissa plans on attending the games this weekend, even if that means she has to check herself out of the hospital for three hours. Either way – Lockhart has found a little added inspiration to their unfinished business.