- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
- Andy Roddick Foundation Welcomes Tony Dungy
- Buzzer Beater Bounces Longhorns
- Texas House Panel Mulls Open, Campus Carry Proposals
New UT Coach Weighs In On Paying Athletes
Updated: Monday, January 6 2014, 06:43 PM CST
It's a debate that's not going away: should college athletes be paid to play?
With the University of Texas in the heart of Austin there is no doubt the school brings in more than enough money.
New head football coach Charlie Strong has said in the past he would support paying players. He also claimed coaches are paid too much.
Reports indicate the fair market value of a UT football player is $578,000 per year. A scholarship is about $37,000.
Although Strong strongly supported the agenda before, for now he says he is focused on winning.
"If we develop them the right way their pay day will be in the end, because they will have a chance to compete on the next level," said Strong.
President Bill Powers wants to push for the rule change.
"I personally think there is a very good case for full cost of attendance. Other students on scholarship get full cost," said Powers.
But it's a case other schools have to agree on, too.
"We can't do it with just one school," said Powers.
So until the NCAA approves paying student athletes, the University of Texas will reap most of the reward for a good team. A reward the city also receives.
"As the Longhorns do well, so does the mayor and city council. It just makes for a happy city, happy economy and happy people. That is good for everyone," said Mayor Pro Tem Sheryl Cole.