- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
- Andy Roddick Foundation Welcomes Tony Dungy
- Buzzer Beater Bounces Longhorns
- Texas House Panel Mulls Open, Campus Carry Proposals
Stay Young? Roger That
Updated: Friday, January 31 2014, 11:37 AM CST
Born in 1921, Roger Owen wasn't sure just how long he'd be around.
"I didn't think I'd see this century, but here I have," admitted Roger.
Not only has Owen made it to the 21st century, he's a member of the century club.
"I walk one to two days a week - two miles a day," Owen said.
As part of his fitness routine, Roger walked more than 100 miles last year. But that's just the first step to staying healthy. Owen, who will turn 93 in March, exercises six days a week for nearly an hour a day at the Buckner Villas senior living community. Since moving in three and a half years ago, he's lifted nearly four million pounds in the wellness center.
"He is an extremely self-motivated individual," said Holly Jones, Wellness Director for Greenridge at Buckner Villas. "He's determined to stay strong, and he's determined to stay healthy."
An engineer by trade, Owen is certainly no dumbbell. He knows staying in shape is the secret to spending more time with his 15 grand and great grandchildren.
"I'm not bad for an old coot," exclaimed Owen as he flexes his bicep. "I think I can be useful to my kids and grand kids and great grand kids. I think I can help them out sometimes."
Roger tells us he does not drink soda and rarely eats dessert. But those aren't the only "temptations" this 92 year old avoids.
"I don't drink or smoke or chew, and I don't go with girls that do," Owen said proudly.
The Buckner Villas are located at the corner of Wandering Way. At 92 years young, Roger Owen has certainly found the right path to living a long, healthy life. The guy who wasn't sure he'd see the turn of the century, looks like a lock to celebrate his own 100 year milestone. For him, it's only a little more than seven years...Or 700 miles away.
by Adam Winkler