- Friday Night Rivals - Week 0
- Friday Night Rivals: Get all the scores here!
- Katrina 10: Javan's Storm Story
- Cowboys Drop Preseason Game to 49ers
- Few QB Highlights in Texans Loss to Denver
- Baylor Player Sentenced To 6 Months Of Jail For Sex Assault
- Texas State 'Well Equipped" for Florida State
- Cowboys, Rams End Practice Early After Fights Break Out
- Spieth Short at PGA, but Takes Over Number One
- Spieth Stalks 3rd Major of Year
- In a Class of Their Own
- Court sketches of Tom Brady cause social media flurry
- Feds detail why they want Lance Armstrong's medical records
- Longhorns Leadership: Does QB Demeanor Matter?
- Texas Trifecta: Breakout Players
- Omar Uresti Gets Another Major Shot
- Wimberley's Recovery With a Nice Ring
- The Fate of TCU's 2015 Season
- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
UT's Brown Meets Media Amid Rumors
Updated: Thursday, December 12 2013, 09:42 PM CST
Answers to questions at Thursday's Alamo Bowl press conference, an event held at a golf club, were "par for the course" for a coach trying to debunk rumors of his impending resignation.
"We're here to talk about the Alamo Bowl and the match-ups," proclaimed Texas head football coach Mack Brown in his first public comments since reports surfaced that he would resign. "We're not here to talk about me."
Before shifting the focus to his team's match-up with Oregon, Brown briefly discussed a meeting that is expected to take place prior to the bowl game; one with much more at stake.
"We've hired what I think is a great athletic director in Steve Patterson," said Brown. "I want to sit down with he and [UT-Austin President] Bill [Powers] in the near future and talk about where we're going and our program is going."
The media contingent was more Super Bowl than Alamo Bowl. And although Mack failed to provide any noteworthy news, one press conference attendee did deliver quotes that will be "red" all over.
"You can't really say anything that will stop the speculation on something like this," admitted Red McCombs, a high-profile Texas booster who backs Mack.
"If you can find a reason to get rid of a guy like that, you'd really have to reach," McCombs said.
McCombs is widely regarded as one of Mack Brown's biggest supporters. However, he's also a straight-shooter. And according to Red, should Mack decide to leave: for UT to find the money to lure Nick Saban away from Alabama won't exactly take divine intervention.
"When Mack came there (Texas), budgets were an issue," recalled McCombs. "They're not an issue now. Hell, all the money that's not up in The Vatican is at UT."
And remember, the Catholic church underwent a rare change in leadership this year. So money may not be the only thing UT has in common with The Vatican.
by Adam Winkler