- WWE Hall of Famer Roddy Piper dies at 61
- Tom Brady's suspension upheld by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell
- 2015 Big 12 Wooly Bully
- Astros move up Taylor Swift concert for possible playoff run
- No Spieth Slam: Jordan Comes Up Short at Open
- Steve Patterson: Keep the Change?
- Longhorn Taylor Funk Wins 109th Southern Amateur
- Steve Patterson Under Pressure
- Mason Crosby "Kicks It" Back at Home
- Oh, Deere! Spieth Wins Another John Deere Classic
- That's a Rap: Texas Exes Dish on Daje
- Spieth Shoots Career Best 61 to Lead John Deere
- Winners Crowned at UA/Jordan Spieth Championship
- Jordan Spieth Wins U.S. Open
- Longhorns Lend a Hand in Wimberly
- Spieth Stands 18 Holes from U.S. Open Title
- UT Austin announces independent review of basketball academics
- Diamond Departures for Longhorns
- World Cup Company at UT
- Massive Surf Park Coming To Austin In 2016
- Texas Season Ends with 8-1 Loss to DBU
- Oregon State's Eckert Has Texas Ties
- Texas Wins Big 12 Baseball Title
- Texas to Play for Big 12 Baseball Title
- A Dom-inant Lacrosse Presence
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part II
- Shaka Smart 1 on 1: Part 1
- Josh Hamilton Returns to Round Rock
- Pfast Pflugerville Pfamily
- NFL Finds Patriots Employees Probably Deflated Balls
- Cowboys Catch Free-Falling Gregory
- Malcom Brown Drafted by Patriots
- Texas Swept by TCU
- Isaiah Taylor to Return for Junior Season at Texas
- Austin in Play for MLS Expansion
- Express Host 5th Annual Bark in the Park
- Spring Separation? Swoopes Still Longhorns Starter
- ESPN Reporter Suspended Over Rant Caught On Video
- Coaching Connection: Shyatt Has History with Barnes and Shaka
- Hail Mary Highlights Texas State Spring Game
- Buyouts For Shaka Smart, Rick Barnes Add Up For UT
- Texas Hires Shaka Smart
- Rick Barnes Era Ends at Texas
- Boyer, Harris Turn Heads Again
- Texas is One and Done at NCAA Tournament
- March On: Texas Selected for NCAA Tournament
- Texas Wins on Walk-Off to Start Big 12 Play
- Andy Roddick Foundation Welcomes Tony Dungy
- Buzzer Beater Bounces Longhorns
- Texas House Panel Mulls Open, Campus Carry Proposals
Winkler's Wrap from Rangers Spring Training
Updated: Saturday, August 3 2013, 09:47 PM CDT
From the young guys to the grizzled veterans, spring training is a time for instruction. However, the players are not the only ones catching on. We've learned a few things over the course of three days at Rangers camp. Here's the tale of the tape.
We learned that although Texas said goodbye to a few stars this offseason, the remaining pieces - along with the addition of Lance Berkman and A.J. Pierzynski, have the Rangers feeling like they're just as primed for a playoff run this season as in years past.
"We are not here to hold down the fort or anything like that," Rangers manager Ron Washington told reporters Tuesday. "We are going out there to kick some butt right out the chute."
We learned that 20 year old phenomenon Jurickson Profar wants to be part of the major league club.
"I want to be here," said Profar. "I want to be here to help the team."
But not even push-ups before batting practice will give the shortstop a leg up on entrenched starters on the infield. The slick-fielding stud is likely headed to Triple-A Round Rock.
We learned that outfielder David Murphy, despite being in the big leagues for five years, still thinks it's awesome that fans line up for his autograph and wear his jersey. We also learned that he has his own theory as to why.
"You look at all the marquee names we've had in here the past few years, they go in that shop and maybe it's by default," Murphy joked. "Maybe it's because the other jerseys are sold out?"
But most of all, we learned that if you're a baseball fan, this is a trip you need to make. Baseball is a kid's game, and in this laid back setting, players are free to act like kids - while a certain sports reporter gets to act like spending three days at spring training is actually "work".
By Adam Winkler